Fruit Compote is a yummy and flavourful dish which could be served as a breakfast treat or even as a low-calorie dessert or as a topping on ice-cream. This is a great recipe which balances both Pitta and Vata. For Vata, it is served warm and for Pitta balancing, it is served at room temperature.
- Fresh seasonal organic fruits like apples, pears, peaches, plums, bananas, mangoes etc. are ideal for this recipe.
- Pinch of cardamom.
- Pinch of powdered ginger (or a fresh slice of ginger).
- Pinch of cinnamon powder.
- 3 cloves.
- Peel and cube mango, apple, peach and pear or any other fruit.
- In a saucepan, heat one cup of water on medium heat and add these fruits in the pan. (Tip: to preserve nutrients and vitamins of fruits, cook it on low or medium heat)
- Add cardamom, ginger powder, cinnamon and cloves and stir it and allow it to simmer till fruits become tender.
- Cook till fruits become tender and add dribble of hot water while cooking if required.
- Serve it warm or allow it to cool down and serve as a topping on ice-cream.
- Grated coconut can be added during cooking apples, pears and bananas for a twist.
- For a chutney like compote, use apples and plums.