Sprouts are known in Ayurveda to be a great source of vitamins and proteins. Ayurveda considers it to be sattvic, which is the healthiest type of food. Moreover, seeds can be sprouted quite easily at home which makes this a very cost, time, and health effective substitute for breakfast. Sprouting increases the level of minerals and vitamins including vitamin D. Sprouts contain an unusually high content of living enzymes which helps in digestion.
- Mung beans (1/4 cup)
- Lentils (1/4 cup)
- Wash the beans and lentils thoroughly and soak in a jar filled with water.
- After about 8 hours, wash and soak again in the jar. Cover the jar with a cloth secured by a rubber band.
- Repeat this cycle for 3 times in the day and soak overnight.
- The beans and lentils should have sprouted the next day. In case this doesn’t happen, repeat the procedure for another day.
- The sprouts can be refrigerated for a few days.
- The sprouts can be added to sandwiches with appropriate sauces and condiments