Gulkand is a sweet jam like preparation of rose petals. Rose petals are cooling and have anti-inflammatory properties. When rose petals are combined with sweetners, they are soothing to the heart.
According to Ayurveda, rose balances Sadhaka Pitta which is the subdosha of Pitta. It governs the emotions and their effect on the heart. Hot and humid weather during summers increases pitta dosha - the mind-body operator that governs heat, digestion, and metabolism in the body. Pitta people are naturally attracted to beauty and scent of a rose calms Pitta.
Gulkand has many health benefits like:
- Gulkand has cooling properties and is beneficial in removing heat related problems like lethargy, itching, aches and pains.
- Gulkand is a powerful antioxidant and thus a very good rejuvenator.
- Gulkand reduces acidity and helps in treating ulcers of stomach and also mouth ulcers.
- Rose petal spread or gulkand is effective in relieving menstrual pain.
- Gulkand improves appetite and is a great digestive tonic.
- Gulkand is a great blood purifier and it removes toxins from our body. It helps in giving clear complexion and reduces foul body odour also.
- Sunstroke and nostril bleeding can be controlled by eating 2 tsp of gulkand before going outdoors.
- Most importantly, gulkand has a calming effect on the nervous
- 4 cups rose petals, rinsed gently in water and drained
- 4 cups of candy sugar or jaggery
- ¼ tsp of cardamom powder.
- Fresh rose petals are thoroughly rinsed, washed and dried on a cloth overnight.
- Now jaggery or granule sugar or candy sugar(mishri) is added in a glass jar. Petals and sugar are mixed slowly using spoon.
- If desired, add some cardamom powder in the jar.
- Cover the lid of the jar and keep it in sunlight for two weeks. This process of ‘sun-cooking’ draws out the moisture from the petals turning this mixture into a precursor of a preserve. Caramelizing and sterilizing takes place in the jar with temperatures inside the jar exceeding 120 degrees Celsius on hot sunny days.
- Petals will shrink and melt.
- Shake it well and later keep the jar in room temperature for around 1- 2 weeks till the preserve becomes dark brown in colour and has jam like consistency.
This jam or gulkand has a very sweet smell and a tempting flavour. Gulkand is used mainly in paans, milkshakes, as topping in several desserts, jam in bread etc. Gulkand is regarded as the health tonic and is used to keep your metabolism healthy and fit.