Rice flour is used as a gluten-free substitute for wheat flour across India to make several delicious dishes. It is easy to digest, full of nutrition like vitamins and protein and is easily available. Coconut too aids in metabolism and stress control and combined with these rice dumplings it proves to be the perfect accompaniment for your healthy meal.
For Rice Dumplings
- Half cup rice flour
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup water
- salt (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon urad dal
- 8 curry leaves
- 1 red chili peppers (broken)
- 1 pinch asafoetida
- 2 teaspoons coconut
For Coconut Chutney
- 1-1/2 cups grated Coconut
- 2 tbsp Fried Gram
- 1 Green Chilli,
- 1/3 cup chopped Onion,
- Salt to taste
- Few sprigs of Coriander
- 1 tsp Coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida Powder
- Few sprigs of Curry Leaves
Procedure of rice dumplings
- Mix two teaspoons of rice flour in water along with the 1/4th teaspoon of salt and a tablespoon of oil. Cook the mixture till it thickens.
- Add the rest of the rice flour slowly while stirring it vigorously with a wooden ladle. Cook it for 3-4 minutes till it forms a lump.
- Allow the mixture to cool and when it is slightly above room temperature knead it till it becomes soft.
- Make small, dumpling shaped balls with the dough and steam in a steamer for 8-9 minutes.
- Roast urad dal and mustard seeds in a frying pan and add asafetida (Hing), curry leaves, scraped coconut and chili when the oil is hot enough.
- Add the rice dumplings to this tempering and toss well.
Procedure of coconut chutney
- Saute some onions with a pinch of salt in a frying pan along with chopped green chili.
- Add the remaining ingredients with the onions in a blender with ¼ cup of water to make a fine but smooth paste.
- Blend the mixture and put it aside.
- For tempering the chutney, heat coconut oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds begin to pop add asafoetida, curry leaves and some salt.
- Pour this over the coconut paste and mix well.
Serve the coconut chutney with the rice flour dumplings to delight your guests with a light and healthy snack full of nutrients.