This red lentil soup is an abundant source of iron. A good blood builder and liver cleanser, this soup is mouth-watering.
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon of asafetida
- 2 large cloves finely chopped
- 1-2 curry leaves
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- Salt to taste
- 1 small handful of cilantro leaves
- Pepper powder
- Wash the beans properly and soak them overnight in plenty of water.
- Drain the water next day.
- To a soup pot add beans and 3 cups of water.
- Bring it to a boil.
- Cook for about 30 minutes and keep stirring it in between to prevent sticking.
- Until the beans become tender keep cooking for about 10-15 minutes more.
- Now in a small frying pan heat vegetable oil.
- To it add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and asafetida.
- As soon as the seeds pop, put in the garlic, curry leaves, turmeric and masala powder. Mix quickly.
- Add salt and add more water if required.
- Add cilantro leaves and serve.