Jackfruit keeps the skin moisture levels high and your hair in good condition. It also helps in maintaining good eyesight as they contain a good quantity of Vitamin A.
Jackfruit Poriyal is a famous south Indian dish specially prepared in Tamil Nadu and Kerala. Poriyal is a Tamil word for sautéedor stir, which means- fried vegetable dish. It usually is a shallow fry curry of vegetables mixed with spices. This Jackfruit Curry recipe is exotically delicious and makes for a fantastic vegetarian or vegan main dish.
- 1 cup Jackfruit (Kathal), raw and diced
- 2 sprig Curry leaves
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 pinch Asafoetida (hing)
- 1 tsp White Urad Dal (Split)
- 1 tsp Chana dal (Bengal Gram Dal)
- 2 Green Chillies, slit
- Salt, to taste
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1 tsp Black pepper powder
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Fresh coconut, grated
- To begin making the Raw Jackfruit Poriyal, let us first cut the raw jackfruit. In order to cut Raw Jackfruit first grease your hands and the knife that we are going to use, with some oil.
- Keep a bowl of water mixed with some salt, ready to put the cut raw jackfruit pieces to avoid discoloration of the fruit.
- Now that your hands and knife are well greased, cut the jackfruit in half, discard the skin and start making 1-inch pieces and soak them in the salted water.
- To start cooking the raw jackfruit, place the jackfruit in a pressure cooker with 1/4 cup of water and pressure cook for 6 whistles, reduce the heat and continue to cook for 10 minutes. Turn off the flame.
- Allow the pressure to release naturally. Drain the jackfruit pieces and set aside.
- In a frying pan, heat oil over medium heat, add the mustard seeds and allow it to crackle, next add asafoetida, urad dal, and chana dal and fry till they turn golden brown. This will take about a minute.
- Once they have turned brown, add in the curry leaves, green chilies, salt, turmeric powder, black pepper powder and the boiled raw jackfruit pieces. Give a good stir for about 30 seconds and turn off the heat.
- Finally add the lemon juice, grated coconut and mix properly. It is ready to be served.
- Serve this Raw Jackfruit Poriyal along with steamed rice and Sambar.
In order to cut Raw Jackfruit first grease your hands and the knife that we are going to use, with some oil. This important tip ensures that the hands don't get sticky from the natural fruit latex/sap present in the fruit does not get into your hands and makes the cutting process hassle-free.