Tikki or patty is a yummy, spicy and crunchy snack which is fulfilling and satisfying. Oats and moong dal combined with various Indian spices make it a delicious, lip-smacking snack which is nutritive, high in fiber and is protein rich.
Oats are rich in protein and lower in carbohydrates. They help in controlling body weight as they help you feel fuller for longer duration and also helps in lowering blood pressure. Soluble fibers found in oats control blood sugar and thus help reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes. Oats are aggravating for Kapha but however dry baked oats in granola are fine.
Moong Dal is tridoshic and helps in balancing all three doshas. It is easily digestible and good source of protein, dietary fiber and has many vitamins like Vitamin A, B Vitamins (Thiamin, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Pantothenic Acid) Vitamin E, Vitamin D, Vitamin C, Vitamin K. It is low in sodium and cholesterol and also has skin anti-ageing properties.
- 1 cup yellow moong dal (split yellow gram)
- 1 cup quick cooking rolled oats
- 2 tsp ginger-garlic (adrak-lehsun) paste
- 5-6 tbsp grated onions
- 2 tbsp amchur powder
- 1 tsp finely chopped green chilies
- 4 tsp chaat masala
- 3 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 4 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp oil for greasing and cooking
- Boil moong dal (soaked for 2 hours) in a cup of water till dal is cooked and water evaporates.
- Drain water and wash it in cold water and let it cool down.
- In a grinder add Moong dal and oats and grind it into a thick paste.
- Mix all the ingredients and the paste in a bowl.
- Divide the mixture into small balls and make flat tikkis.
- Grease a non-stick tawa and heat it on medium flame.
- Cook each tikki using little oil till it becomes crispy and golden in color on medium flame. Flip it and cook it on the other side.
- Serve it hot with green chutney or ketchup. It can be also used as a filling in the burger to make it a wholesome healthy and nutritive meal.
Enjoy nutritive yummy tikki’s without any guilt.