What is your best breakfast option? It shouldn’t be heavy, because you may feel sleepy before you go to work. If you are conscious of your weight, consuming oily foods may not be advisable, that too as a breakfast.
Lentil idli is the best option for the above problem. It has got all required nutrients in it and it still doesn't make you fat.
The light cakes are shaped from ripped de-husked black lentils and rice. The lentils and rice are soaked for a few hours, then ground into a very fine batter and left out to ferment overnight.
To be soaked
- 1/2 cup urad daal (split black gram daal)
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1/2 cup white rice
- 1/4 cup toor daal (split pigeon pea)
- 1/4 cup whole Raungi (lobhia/chowla)
- 2 teaspoons methi seeds (fenugreek seeds)
- To be added later:
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 dried red chili
- Handful of cilantro leaves
- Salt to taste
- First soak all the lentils overnight (12 hours)
- Drain out the water in which they were soaked and grind the soaked grains/lentils along with ginger, cleaned cilantro leaves, dried red chili, and salt (1/2 teaspoon or more) with some water if needed.
- If this mixture does not look sufficiently fermented, add 1/4 teaspoon baking powder, or keep for another 4-6 hours in a warm place.
- Grease Idli stand and mix and pour the batter.
- Steam the idlis for 20-25 mins and let stand for another 10 before removing from idli stand.
To make more nutritive add green vegetables.