Falafel is a yummy Mediterranean dish which is prepared by using chickpeas. If we prepare the same dish using moong beans, it becomes all the more nutritive dish ayurvedically. Moong beans are naturally tridoshic and thus helps balance all three doshas in our bodies. Moong beans are easily digested in our bodies and additionally, they also remove toxins. Medicinal spices like cumin, coriander, turmeric etc added to this recipe are beneficial for our bodies.
- 2 cups of moong beans (soaked overnight)
- 2 small chopped onions
- 4-5 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup of freshly chopped cilantro and parsley
- 2 teaspoons each of cumin seeds and coriander seeds
- 11/2 teaspoon of red chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 5 teaspoons of potato starch (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Pressure cook soaked beans so they become lighter to digest but do not overcook. Let it cool.
- Add these beans, onions, garlic, cilantro, parsley, turmeric, chili flakes, cumin and coriander seeds and mix well and grind them to prepare a thick coarse paste.
- Add potato starch to this mixture and form balls from this paste. Potato starch acts as a binding agent and is gluten-free. Corn starch could be also used.
- Make these balls flat like patty and allow it to set in the refrigerator for about 30 – 40 minutes.
- Saute these in a skillet with little oil instead of deep frying over low flame till they become crispier golden in color. Flip these after some time and cook it on the other side.
- Serve it hot with tahini or green chutney.