The Ginger Shortbread Cookies are a sweet and a special bite for all those who are trying to maneuver their way around the sprinkles-overloaded cookies on the holiday treat platter. They are delicate and crumbly and lightly sweet. And those little chewy morsels of zingy candied ginger are heavenly. And so pretty, absolutely lovely with a cup of tea or coffee.
- 2/3 cup wholemeal Organic Spelt Flour or wheat flour
- 1/3 cup Organic Buckwheat Flour
- 5 tbsp. Organic Coconut Sugar (or Rapadura Sugar)
- 2 tbsp. Dried Ginger Powder
- 1/2 cup melted Ghee (preferably home-made)
- 1/4 tbsp. Bi-Carb Soda dissolved in a little boiled water
- Pre-heat your oven to 150 degrees Celsius.
- Add all of the dry ingredients to a mixing bowl and mix thoroughly with a whisk.
- Now, you need to add the wet ingredients and massage slowly with your hands into a soft cookie dough.
- Break off the small amounts of dough, roll it into a ball (about walnut size) and flatten into a disk shape or a flat screen.
- Place on baking paper on a baking tray 2 cm apart.
- When the tray is full, place in the hot oven and cook for 10-15 minutes.
When you can smell them (and they are a golden brown colour) they are ready! Pull out of the oven and let cool completely before eating (or they will crumble).