While plain dal is one of the healthiest and easiest to cook dishes in Indian Cuisine, it offers a lot of room for improvisation and experimentation to augment the taste and health benefits it already has. Adding cucumber to any variety of dal makes the dish delicious. The cucumber dal combination works best with the toor dal and the recipe has been described below-
- One Cucumber (skinned and chopped into cubes)
- ¾ cups of toor dal
- 1 onion (finely chopped), red chilli, and green chilli
- 2 tomatoes (finely chopped)
- ¼ tablespoons of turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon of chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons of coriander leaves
- Salt (To Taste)
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1 teaspoon each of mustard and cumin seeds
- Cook the toor dal in a pressure cooker and keep it aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the red chilli and sauté. Then add the cumin and mustard seeds.
- Add the garlic when the mustard starts to sputter. Then add the onions and the green chilli with an appropriate amount of salt and sauté until the onions become transparent.
- Add the tomatoes and cucumber and mix well.
- Add half a cup of water and cook the tomatoes and cucumber in a medium flame for about 10 minutes.
- When the cucumber is cooked thoroughly, add the mashed toor dal and mix well until the dal starts to boil.
- Garnish with the coriander leaves and serve with plain rice.