Ayurveda strongly believes in the virtues of an all-vegetarian diet as it is thought to promote a healthy and strong body. Vegetable stew with a base of coconut milk is very popular in Kerala and this fulfills all the ayurvedic requirements of a healthy meal.
This stew incorporates several different vitamins and provides a very light, nutritious and easy to digest meal option.
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 green chili
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- Tej patta or bay leaf
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 4 cloves
- 8 to 10 bits of solid pepper
- 10 to 12 curry leaves
- 1 chopped carrot
- 1 chopped potato
- 8 to 10 chopped beans
- Half a cup green peas
- One cup chopped cauliflower
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup thick coconut milk
- 1 cup thin coconut milk
- Heat coconut oil in a wok or saucepan and sauté green chilies, ginger paste and wait for a minute
- Add all the whole spices, bay leaf, cinnamon and curry leaves
- Once the spices start sizzling, add all the vegetables and cook on medium flame for 5 minutes.
- Pour the thin coconut milk in the mixture and allow it to cook for 5 minutes
- Add the thick coconut milk and salt and simmer for a minute.
Your vegetable stew is ready! Serve with rice or Malabar paratha for a nutritious and fulfilling meal.