Sweet, earthy and tangy in taste, beetroot is a vegetable that is used vastly in ayurveda because of its health benefits. Blood pressure management, improved blood flow and glowing skin are only some of the benefits of eating this versatile vegetable.
This recipe for beetroot curry combines taste with health to provide an enriching meal for you and your family.
- Cooking oil or ghee
- 3 beetroots (chopped)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 tomato (chopped)
- 1 potato (chopped)
- 3 tsp coriander seeds
- 3 red chillies
- Curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Half cup grated coconut
Procedure of beetroot curry
- Boil the potatoes and beetroot in a pressure cooker for 7 minutes.
- Dry roast the red chilies and coriander seeds till they turn brown. Then grind them into a paste along with the grated coconut to desired consistency.
- Heat oil in a pan and sauté the onions till they turn translucent.
- Add tomatoes and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add boiled beetroot and potatoes along with the chilies, coriander and coconut paste.
- Add salt and turmeric and bring the whole mixture to a boil.
- When cooked sufficiently add the curry leaves and mix well.
The above dish can be served with rice as well as chapattis and serves to provide a refreshing addition to your meal.