Traditionally moong dal halwa is a special Rajasthani sweet dish which is relished during winter seasons, Diwali and weddings. It is supposed to protect our body from bitter winter cold and keeps our body warm. It is delicious and healthy dessert and takes a lot of time and patience to saute dal. My mom prepares halwa bur (ghee roasted dal for halwa) and gives to me every winter so I can easily prepare it as and when required by just adding hot water and sugar or jaggery and garnish and serve this delight to my family and friends.
Moong Dal is a rich source of protein and is low carb diet and is great for the digestive system. Moong dal or yellow dal is considered as the superfood for vegetarians. Ayurvedically, ghee in moderate quantities is very beneficial for the whole body and has many healing properties. Ghee is the ultimate remedy to cure all the problems arising from the pitta dosha, such as inflammation.
Jaggery is a sweetening agent used in preparing many delicacies, especially during winters as it provides nutrition and warmth. Jaggery is less in calories and rich in iron, calcium, potassium, and antioxidants and has natural cleansing properties and it purifies the blood. It is more complex than sugar and energy released is slow and thus it's more healthier option than sugar.
- 1 cup yellow moong dal
- 1 cup ghee
- 1 cup organic unrefined palm jaggery
- 3 cups water
- ½ tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tsp slivered almonds
- 10-12 raisins
- 3-4 strands of saffron soaked in milk
- few pistachios and cashew nuts
- Soak moong dal for 1-2 hours.
- Drain out the water and grind dal in a grinder.
- Take a heavy bottomed pan or non-stick kadhai and grease it with ghee.
- Saute ground dal with ghee on high flame initially and then saute it on medium flame. Keep on stirring regularly.
- Saute till the ground dal becomes like golden brown granules and ghee is released from it. The kitchen will be filled with a nice aroma. Halwa bur is ready.
- In another pan add jaggery in 1 cup of water and let it boil.
- Add 2 cups of warm water to halwa bur and let it cook for some time.
- Then add jaggery water to it and keep on stirring continuously.
- Add saffron milk and let it cook for 5 min on low flame and do not stir now. Now add cardamom powder.
- Ghee would separate soon and rich tasty nutritious halwa is ready.
- Serve it hot and garnish with slivered almonds, pistachios, cashew nuts and raisins.