While desserts are rarely thought of as being the healthiest part of a meal, they can be made into one by incorporating nutritious ingredients and a healthy cooking process.
Apple being rich in natural minerals like iron and phosphorus it helps in the treatment of anemia and heart disease. In case of digestive problems too cooked apple proves to be a good food option.
Oats are the perfect nutritionally dense option for ayurvedic dessert as they reduce bad cholesterol, reduce risk of heart disease and are anti diabetic.
This dessert combines these two ingredients to provide a delicious alternative to any traditional dessert.
- 6 apples (thinly sliced)
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup oats
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup cold butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Mix the apples with white sugar and half a teaspoon of cinnamon and pour into a baking dish.
- Create a mixture of brown sugar, oats, flour, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a separate bowl.
- Mash this oats mixture with cold butter until it turns chunky.
- Spread the mixture over the apples covering them evenly and completely.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 40 minutes till the top turns brown and crispy.
This dessert can be served with caramel sauce, whipped cream or even fresh fruits as optional accompaniments.