The darkened patches of skin under the eyes are commonly referred to as dark circles. Dark circles make the person look tired and haggard and thus, dark circles are an unhealthy attribute to have.
A person can be afflicted with dark circles due to various reasons such as aging, unhealthy eating habits, hereditary traits, inadequate rest and mental or physical stress. Dark circles are predominantly present in individuals who are under a lot of stress.
Dark circles undermine the looks of a person and hence are undesirable. They can be removed effectively by following some simple home remedies.
- Yoga/Exercise: Physical exercise and yoga are effective means of reducing the stress, both physical and mental, in the body. Dedicating yourself to an hour of such activities daily can drastically help in reducing dark circles.
- Lemon Juice: The Vitamin C present in lemon juice lightens the skin which can be used to reduce dark circles. However, in case you feel that the lemon juice is burning your skin, do not continue with this method.
- Apply fresh lemon juice with a cotton ball on the darkened skin and leave it to dry for 5-10 minutes before washing it off. Repeat every day for a few weeks.
- Alternatively, the same procedure can be followed by using a paste with grated tomato and lemon juice.
- Rose water: Rose water is a very useful soothing agent and it can help the skin regain its lost glow. Cotton eye pads can be used to apply rose water to the region around the eye. Simply apply rose water to the cotton pads and place the pads on closed eyelids for 10-15 minutes. Repeat twice daily for a couple of weeks at least.
- Almond Oil: Applying almond oil on the darkened areas daily can help alleviate dark circles. Almond oil is a great natural ingredient which is useful for maintaining the health of skin and hair.
- Buttermilk and Turmeric: A paste of buttermilk and turmeric can really help in reducing dark circles. Turmeric has important anti-oxidant properties and is beneficial for the skin. Make a thick paste of buttermilk and turmeric and apply around the eyes daily for a few weeks.
- Cucumber: You might have seen people at spas and beauty clinics with cucumber on their eyes in T.V. or magazine commercials. Cucumber can rejuvenate the skin and can help reduce dark circles. Refrigerate cucumber slices for an hour and place them on your closed eyelids for about 10 minutes. Repeat daily for at least a month.
Do tell us your views in the comment section below.