While hiccups may not signify poor health, they most definitely can cause some discomfort. Hiccups are caused due to the irritation of the nerves between the neck and the chest which causes sporadic contractions in the diaphragm. Want to know how to get rid of them quickly? Read on.
- Eat something sweet: While this is a rather unhealthy solution for those suffering from high blood sugar, satiating your sweet tooth while getting rid of those annoying hiccups can be a win-win situation for you.
- Cold water: Nothing simpler than gulping down some cold water with honey to get rid of hiccups. You can gargle with this solution too.
- Lemons: The sourness of lemons can soothe the irritated nerve endings that cause hiccups. Simply swallowing some lemon juice or sucking on a piece of lemon can do.
- Peanut Butter: A classic solution, eating a tablespoon of peanut butter is sure to get rid of those hiccups.
- Relaxing the Muscles of Your Diaphragm: You can get rid of hiccups by simply eliminating the problem. Place a paper towel over a glass of water and try drinking water from that. You’ll need additional force to suck the water which can help get rid of the hiccups.
- Hold Your Breath: Holding your breath is a good solution for hiccups. It increases the amount of carbon dioxide in the bloodstream, which diverts the mind and stops the cycle of hiccups.
- Cardamom: Drinking warm water with cardamom powder dissolved can really help get rid of hiccups. Cardamom can relax the muscles and is thus very useful.
If your hiccups remain for more than a few hours, seek medical advice.