Halitosis, the scientific term for bad breath is one of the most common dental problems faced by individuals throughout the world. It is often caused due to poor dental hygiene and is extremely undesirable. It can have a severe impact on a person’s social life which can result in a lack of confidence and poor self-esteem.
Bad breath is mostly caused due to a lack of oral care. Consumption of sweets, alcohol, high protein foods etc. before bed without brushing the teeth is one of the major factors that contribute towards bad breath. Bad breath can also signify the onset of a gum disease which could require medical aid. Hence, it is important to ensure a good oral hygiene and get rid of bad breath as soon as possible. So, what are some easy home remedies for getting rid of bad breath?
- Consume citrus foods: Consume citrus foods such as oranges, grapefruits, and lemon based products to help get rid of the dryness in the mouth which is one contributing factor of bad breath. Citric acid helps increase the production of saliva which reduces bad breath.
- Brush and floss more often: Brushing your teeth twice a day along with regular flossing can greatly improve your oral hygiene to get rid of bad breath.
- Avoid Smoking: Cigarettes and other tobacco-based products are harmful to oral hygiene. Stopping the consumption of such products can make a lot of difference.
- Sunflower or Cardamom Seeds: Chewing sunflower or cardamom seeds throughout the day is also an effective temporary solution. These help in keeping your mouth fresh. Chew a fresh leaves of parsley, basil, mint, or cilantro. The chlorophyll in these green plants neutralizes odour.
- Drinking Water: Drinking lots of water throughout the day is also a very effective solution. Water keeps your mouth hydrated which prevents the onset of bad breath.
- Apple Cider Vinegar or Baking Soda: Gargling with a solution of apple cider vinegar or baking soda and warm water for about 5 minutes daily can also improve oral hygiene.
- Clean your tongue: The layer that forms on your tongue can be a host for smelly bacteria. To get rid of them, gently clean your tongue with your toothbrush or tongue cleaner.
Few more other useful home remedies are:
- Activated Charcoal
- Coconut Oil
- Epsom Salt
- Eucalyptus Oil
- Fennel Seeds
- Green Tea
- Grapefruit Seed Extract
- Lemon Juice And Yogurt
- Salt Water
Fresh breath is a sign of overall good health. These home remedies for bad breath are habits you can take up in your own home and get rid of it.