Gum Swelling is a common problem. It has a number of different causes for inflammation like poor nutrition, switching brand of toothpaste, gingivitis or side effect of a recent medication you’ve started if any. The signs and symptoms include bad breath, swollen, red, bleeding gums, loose teeth and visible pus surrounding the teeth.
Not to worry! We have listed for you some beneficial home remedies that will help soothe your pain:
- Ginger: Being anti-inflammatory and having anti-oxidants properties, it is highly helpful for your gums healing. Make a paste of ginger, water and a pinch of salt and apply it to the affected area directly. You will notice the pain will reduce in some time.
- Turmeric: Helps in preventing the spread of bacteria in the mouth because of its anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties. Turmeric is also great for reducing infection and inflammation. Mix salt, turmeric powder, and mustard oil and apply this paste twice daily on your swollen gums.
- Salt Water
Add the salt to a glass of warm water and rinse your mouth with it. Repeat this for 2-3 times. Salt neutralizes the mouth’s pH and soothes the inflamed gums.
- Neem: The magical herb which can heal almost all sorts of skin problems also works well with gum problems. Because of its anti-microbial property, it helps to combat bacterial and fungal infections, thus reducing the chances of getting swollen gums. All that you need to do is, chew some neem leaves preferably after your meal. And you’re done for the day.
- Remember Vitamins are your best friend and tobacco your enemy. So you better choose wisely! Make sure there is sufficient intake of citrus fruits like orange, lemon; leafy vegetables, berries, eggs. If facing any deficiency, ask your doctor for supplements.
Do’s and Don’ts:
- Brush and floss regularly. Maintaining oral hygiene is as important as maintaining your physical body.
- If some kinds of toothpastes or mouthwashes are irritating you, better don’t take them.
- Caffeinated beverages and sodas should be avoided.
- Brush your teeth twice daily.
If the problem still persists, consult a dentist. Do tell us your views in the comment section below.