A few natural remedies which can keep hypertension at bay:
- Onion: Onion has antioxidant namely Quercetin which helps in reducing the blood pressure. Mix equal proportions of onion juice and honey, consume it daily once for 2-3 weeks.
- Garlic: Garlic has been reported to reduce cholesterol levels and blood pressure. This activity is due to the presence of nitric oxide and hydrogen sulfide which relaxes blood vessels. Take 2 cloves of garlic, crush them and consume them daily early in the morning. If you cannot consume raw garlic you can make a paste of it and consume with milk or buttermilk.
- Watermelon seeds: Watermelon seeds have a compound called Cucurbocitrin which helps in dilating blood vessels, normalizing kidney function and in turn reduces hypertension. Take 5-10 gm dried watermelon seeds and poppy seeds, grind them to powder and store in airtight container. Consume one teaspoon of the mixture twice daily in the morning and evening.
- Lemons: Lemons are rich in vitamin C which is a good antioxidant. This property helps to eliminate free radicals, dilates blood vessels and reduces the risk of hypertension. Squeeze half lemon into a glass of warm water and consume it on empty stomach. You can also combine a half tablespoon of honey if required.
- Coconut water: Coconut water is a rich source of potassium which acts as a natural balance of sodium. Consume coconut water daily which not only relieves hypertension but keeps you healthy and fresh.
Along with all the above remedies, few changes in your food habits and lifestyle can reduce hypertension. Reduce salt intake, include banana, cereals, oats into food, avoid alcohol, tobacco, caffeine and other carbonated beverages. Daily walking is must and meditation a stress-free life. Walking daily can also help to sleep more easily
Final Note: In case your blood pressure doesn’t decrease, even after the change of your lifestyle, better consult a doctor.