High cholesterol can be confronted and corrected with a change in lifestyle and integrating some of the following home remedies into your day-to-day life:
- Do away with trans fats: Trans fats can be found in a lot of fried and baked foodstuffs and they’re a leading cause for rising cholesterol levels. Prefer fruits and vegetables.
- No substitute to exercise: Just 30 minutes of light but consistent exercise has proven to come a long way in keeping cholesterol levels at bay.
- Cut down on your intoxications: A high intake of alcohol and chain-smoking are both very potent reasons for unhealthy amounts of bad cholesterol in the bloodstream, and if it is happening with you, consider it a sign that your body is giving away.
- Amend your diet: High Cholesterol is often a result of a haphazard and misguided diet plan. Small additions and substitutions for high cholesterol food can help a lot. For example: Orange juice, whole grain foods, amla, oatmeal, cinnamon, honey are foods you should add to your intake while saying no to their bad cholesterol heavy substitutes.
- Coconut Oil: Though contradictory, coconut oil is considered a beneficial home remedy for high cholesterol, even though it is a saturated fat. It has lauric acid that helps to increase HDL (the ‘good’ cholesterol) and improve the LDL/HDL ratio. Add one to two tablespoons of this oil daily. Do not use refined or processed coconut oil.
- Monitor your daily intake: Experts will obviously advise you and guide you through the journey but it may not hurt to turn conscious yourself. Take a calculator and a notebook and add up your daily intake, use it as a meter for the foods you should/should not consume.
Obviously, the most important thing is to maintain consistency. Nothing beats that. Make up a schedule. Do justice to it. Happy health!