Vomiting is a natural reaction of our body to certain pathogens or certain foods or even certain smells that our system can’t process. Despite this, the action makes us feel low and sapped. The very sight of someone puking, sometimes the very thought of it, makes us want to rush to the washroom for a quick puke ourselves. One must, however, remember, that vomiting is not a disease. It can be caused by many factors, like food poisoning, overeating, motion sickness, sea sickness, pregnancy, infections, certain medications, etc. What is important is to remember to keep sipping on water as repeated vomiting can lead to dehydration in the body.
To curb the sensation, various home remedies are available and are listed below:
- Take long, deep breaths: Nausea can drive the brain into a frenzy. Deep breathing can calm the nervous system down and can help you drive the feeling away.
- Ginger: Using gingerraw or in the form of tea is considered to be one of the best home remedies for nausea
- Fennel: Fennel helps is preventing the formation of gas in the gastrointestinal tract and allows expulsion of gas. This cures nausea due to digestion-related conditions like intestinal gas and flatulence.
- Sip on fluids: This helps you remain hydrated even after multiple episodes and also allows you to calm your senses throughout. Fluids that help keep you hydrated and may ease nausea are Ginger ale, mint tea, lemonade, and water.
- Lemon and Honey: Slowly eating one spoon of a mixture of lemon juice and honey in equal parts helps curb nausea and stops vomiting.
- Baking Soda and Water: A 1/4th spoon of baking Soda when mixed with a glass of water acts as a great post-vomit mouth rinse as it neutralizes all the acid that may have come up and also protects the teeth.
- Cinnamon Tea with Honey: Boiling a small piece of cinnamon in water with a little bit of honey is all it takes to prepare this tea. This is exceptionally great for expecting mothers with morning sickness and is a tried and tested remedy for curbing nausea.
- Cumin Powder and Water: Drinking a mixture of one and a half teaspoons of cumin powder in water helps relieve the vomiting sensation and is also great for diarrhea.
These remedies are effective for random episodes of vomiting and also morning sickness. However, if nausea persists for more than a day or two and your condition doesn’t seem to be improving, you should go see a doctor immediately.