Loose motions or Diarrhea is a medical condition in which the patient has more than three or four bowel movements in a day. This condition should be treated at the earliest as this may result in dehydration or loss of fluids as well as electrolyte balance is also disturbed. The patient might feel pain in the abdomen and feel very weak and in severe cases, drips have to be administered. For immediate relief, give a glass of water with little salt, one spoon of glucose and lemon. This drink should be given frequently to keep the person hydrated.
Ayurvedic remedies for treating loose motions:
- Take around 3 grams of Javitri (Mace) with whey.
- Prepare an Ayurvedic mixture of different oils which is commonly used for vomiting and nausea. Mix fennel oil, Ajwain oil, Dill (Sowa) oil and camphor in equal proportions. Add one drop of this mixture onto a sugar cube or teaspoon of sugar or yogurt, mix it with water and drink.
- Prepare around 300 grams of the mixture of trikatu, asafoetida, nutmeg, ginger, black salt and lemon juice, all in equal proportions. Make it in a pill form and take it.
- Dried peel of pomegranate fruit is very useful in the preparation of Ayurvedic medicine for Diarrhea or loose motions. Mix 3 or 4 pieces of the dried peel with 2 cups of water and boil at medium heat with the lid covered. Boil it till the water is reduced to half. Add 2 cubes of cane sugar or crystals of sugar to it. Drink this decoction after an hour of having your meal.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of dried pomegranate peels with a cup of thick curd and take it on an empty stomach.
- Prepare a powder mix with 60 grams of Lavanbhasakr Churn, 5 grams of Safed Jeera, 5 grams of Shankh Bhasam, 3 grams of Sonth and 3 grams of Lodhra. Mix it well and divide it into 16 equal parts. Take one part of this powdered mixture daily with yogurt.
- In case a child or infant has loose motion, take 5 gram haritaki and 1 gram fennel to make a 50 ml decoction. Give this mixture whenever the patient feels thirsty. This can be administered for three days.
- For acute cases of loose motions, make a decoction(200 ml) with 100 grams of Rasnaut, 1 gram of Kutaj, 5 grams of Bael, 5 grams of Isabgol and 1 gram of Gond katira dissolved in water and then drink it.
Loose motions dehydrate the body and so to replenish lost fluids from the body, the patient should consume lots of water and other liquids like juices etc. and keep themselves hydrated.